Candy Cane Crafters: Mint Sugar Scrub and Lip Balm
Christmas Sugar Scrub and Jar
Jar Materials (Total Cost to decorate jar $4.00. All materials are available at Dollar Tree):
- Empty, clean 4 inch tall wide mouth glass jar with lid $1.00
- 5/8 inch wide x 108 inches roll of ribbon $1.00
- 4 Glue Dots (comes in packs of 36) $1.00
- Bakers Twine $1.00
Measure the ribbon so it wraps around the jar one time and cut the ribbon to length. Add one glue dot to each end of the ribbon and one glue dot approximately two and a half inches from each end. To start wrapping the ribbon around the jar, center the ribbon on the jar half way from bottom of jar and press one end of the ribbon glue dot onto the jar, then the second glue dot, the third and then the last glue dot.
Wrap bakers twine around the shoulder of the jar and tie in a bow.
Mint Sugar Scrub
This simple DIY sugar scrub exfoliates and moisturizes all at once. Total Cost to make sugar scrub $12.24 with essential oil / $6.30 without essential oil.
- 1/3 cup pure cane sugar Walmart Great Value brand 20 oz $1.68
- 2 tablespoons of organic, virgin, unrefined coconut oil Walmart Great Value brand 14 oz $4.62
- Optional 2 drops of peppermint oil (may substitute lavender oil or eucalyptus oil) Walmart GuruNanda brand Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil .5 fl oz $5.94
Add 1/3 cup sugar to a bowl.
Add one tablespoon of the room temperature coconut oil into the bowl of sugar. Mix well using a spoon or fork. Add second tablespoon of coconut oil and mix. The consistency should be sandy, not soupy. If soupy, add more sugar. Add the optional essential oils (if using). Stir until ingredients are well combined.
Spoon scrub into an air-tight container (such as a mason jar).
Seal tightly and store at room temperature for up to two months.
You can use the scrub on your hands, feet, legs, elbows or even your face. However, if you add the optional ingredients (essential oils) you will want to avoid the face. Massage the sugar scrub with your fingertips gently in a circular motion for 20 seconds. Rinse with water and gently pat dry. Your skin will feel brand new and incredibly soft and luxurious. You don’t need to use any lotions or creams after using the sugar scrub.
Simple Honey Lip Balm
Coconut oil is hydrating. Honey draws moisture to your lips and helps exfoliate them.
Ingredients/Materials (total Cost $16.23 with essential oil or $8.00 without essential oil or flavorings):
- Organic, virgin, and unrefined coconut oil Walmart Great Value brand 14 oz $4.62
- Raw honey Walmart Great Value brand 12 oz $3.38
- Peppermint Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil Walmart GuruNanda brand .5 fl oz $5.94 or you can use Hobby Lobby Lip Flavors two pack of different flavors (one .25 fl oz bottle each of strawberry and mint or one .25 fl oz orange and one .25 fl oz vanilla bean) $3.99 for a two pack
- Lip Balm Containers Hobby Lobby pack of 18 $5.99 or pack of 6 $2.29
Instructions (fills two lip balm containers):
Add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of coconut oil to a small microwave safe bowl. Heat the coconut oil on the lowest setting for 5 seconds. Stir it and heat it for an additional 5 seconds. Keep an eye on it. Don’t let it bubble! It’s heated enough when the coconut oil is melted.
Let the coconut oil cool for 2-3 minutes.
To the coconut oil add in 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of raw honey. Stir until well blended. Pour into a lip balm container and put the lid on. Leave it overnight to cool and solidify.
To the remaining coconut oil/honey mixture, add in 4-5 drops of Peppermint or other essential oil or 5 drops of Lip Flavors mint, strawberry or other flavor. Stir until the coconut oil, honey and essential oil or Lip Flavors are well blended.
Pour the flavored lip balm into a lip balm container to cool. Opt for an old lip balm container or any small container you have. You can use an old mint tin, a small baby food jar, or even an old (clean) pill bottle. Leave it overnight to cool and solidify.
You can store this lip balm at room temperature for several months.